Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Taking Care of Barb

There have been a few times in my life that were key turning points for me. I have been through a few different situations that have changed my life forever. During the summer of 2006 I was a counselor once again at Camp Daniel. If you go to camp long enough you get a camper that will challenge you.Each week has brought it's own set of challenges for me.


I had a camper in a wheelchair that week. Barb was 52 and had cerebral palsy. That week was the worst and best week of my life. That was the first time I had ever done full time care for someone. At first it was really overwhelming. Barb was so patient with me as I was learning how to take care of her. I had to feed her, clothe her, bathe her, and take her to the bathroom. I had to do everything for her. The first couple of days were stressful for me. When I finally let go of that and I truly embraced everything I was doing with her, the rest of the week was a blessing.


There were a few ladies who knew what they were doing and they helped me a lot that week. Thank you Nancy, Katie and Sherry. I couldn't have done it without them. They were such a good example to me of having a servant's heart. The body of Christ is supporting and helping each other at camp. I am continually blessed to see this in action.


It was an honor, a privilege to take care of Barb. Barb taught me so much that week. She taught me about love, patience, vulnerability, and being humble. Something happened that week that I can't describe. Something changed inside of me. As I took care of Barb, God softened my heart and broke me. My life has been forever wrecked in an amazing way, and I will never be the same.



This is a picture of me holding hands with Barb. This picture represents so much for me.




0 comments:

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP