Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Voice of the Voiceless



I have been reading a book called Conversations with the Voiceless by John Wessells. John and his wife sold their house and started traveling around and ministering to people in a coma in head trauma centers. They would sing to and pray with the patients. These patients responded while they were in a coma. One patient had come out of a coma and told John that he had heard every word John had said to him. This man had even accepted Christ while he was in a coma. Wow.


The little boy pictured above is Blake, he is 12 yrs old. He has Down Syndrome and he is non-verbal. He is Lora and Jason's little boy. They adopted him a year ago. On Tuesdays, we practice for Special Olympics bowling. I have helped Blake with bowling for the past two weeks. He has been such a blessing to me. He has quite a little personality. He doesn't speak, and yet he says a LOT. When he saw me last week he looked right at me and gave me a little smile out of the corner of his mouth. I know he was happy to see me. On Tuesday, while I was helping Blake, he poked me in the back two different times. When I turn around, he looks away with a little mischievous grin on his face. He is so funny. He speaks so much into my life.


I look back over the last eight years and I realize how much the voiceless have changed my life. I have spent time with the poor in Mexico, the homeless in Chicago, inner-city kids, old folks in nursing homes, and people with disabilities. These people are the voiceless in our society. The voiceless are the reason for the radical transformation in my life. In fact, the one who spoke the most into my life was Barbie who could hardly speak at all.


I feel like I have tapped into something huge. I feel like I have found the treasure that everyone has been searching for. I have found a rare gem. Each one of them is a rare beauty, a treasure in heaven. This is where the heart of God lies. I have found Jesus among them. God has opened my eyes and my heart. I have heard the voice of the voiceless.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP