Powered by Blogger.

Monday, February 15, 2010

These are the Gifts I Give to Thee


This is a poem from a book called A Face for Me. The book is about a young women named Debbie Diane Fox who had a deformed face. The poem was written by Marion Peck. Grandma Jo shared this poem with me not too long ago. This poem is a great description of how people with disabilities have changed my life. This is what people with disabilities have given me. They are God's gifts to us! God slowly opened my eyes and changed my heart to see things the way they are described in this poem. That is why I am in disability ministry now. I cry every time I read it. Here it is.



I saw a child who could not see

Dear Lord, I cried, why should this be?

Never to look on the face of love…

Or the sun…or the trees…or the stars above…

Always to walk through eternal night….

Never to know the comfort of light?



I saw a child who no step could take.

Dear Lord, I cried, my heart doth ache!

Never to stand up straight or tall…

This child, though he tries, can only fall…

What did he do to be made this way?

'Tis every child's right to run and play!



I saw a child who could speak no word.

Isn't this cruel, I cried, dear lord?

And he cannot hear on top of it all…

Never can hear his mother call…

Never to speak…never to hear…

I turned my face to hide a tear.



I saw a child who could not reason.

Locked away for his whole life's season…

Locked away and all unaware

Of the world of the mind that others share.

Dear Lord, I said, Why this affliction?

Denying this child the mind's benediction?



Then spoke a voice through my heart to me:

"THESE ARE THE GIFTS I GIVE TO THEE"



That little child will take your hand

And lead you through this weary land...

And show you wonders beyond compare…

And beauty you never dreamed was there.

And that little boy so crippled and lame

Has courage, My son, that would put yours to shame.

He'll teach you to walk if you'll just hold his hand…

To walk upright with your fellow man.

And the little girl there whose tongue could not speak…

Can teach you the eloquence of tears on a cheek.

You'll learn that the heart can volumes tell

If it's warmed by love and care as well.

And that mindless one…hold the cup to His lips

And you'll find that God's love you also will sip.

Perhaps your mind's closed, but you hold the key

And when you open to him you open to me.



Dear Lord, I said, I humbly thank Thee.

I'll live for these children…who are your gifts to me.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP