Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Barb Accepted Christ


Barb was the lady I took care of a few summers ago who had cerebral palsy.
As I look back, I can't believe how patient she was with me. That week was the first time I had ever done full care for someone. I know that I totally sucked, I had no idea what I was doing. I can't imagine what she must have been thinking. She seemed to put up with me pretty well. I know that she could tell that I was nervous and a little overwhelmed. I guess she must be used to it. She was patient, and I was grateful.


How is it that this lady could teach me so much in only five days? She has completely changed my life. Camp Daniel has always been a wonderful experience for me. My experience with Barb confirmed the fact that I wanted to spend the rest of my life working with people with disabilities. I can't put into words all that this loving, beautiful woman has done fore me. One night when I was sitting next to Barb, she put her hand in mine. That reassurance from Barb was so encouraging to me. I know how hard she had to work to get her hand by mine. Her limbs are always stuck tight up next to her body.


During chapel one night, another camper wanted Barb to sit next to her. I parked Barb's wheelchair next to this camper and I ended up sitting on the other side of the chapel. We had a worship time and the message was given. The special thing about that night was the altar call. Some people went forward and then I looked over at Barb. She had her hand way up in the air. This wasn't something she normally did so I went over to her. I asked her if she wanted to go forward and she said yes. I wheeled her up to the front and prayed with her.


When the prayer was done I wheeled her around to face me. I looked into her eyes and said "You are a unique masterpiece that God has created and He loves you so much!" I will never forget the way she looked at me. She had tears in her eyes. We shared a special moment together. I saw right into her heart. It was so special to be a part of that moment.


Some people may say that they don't understand. I'm here to tell you that they DO understand. Their spirits are NOT disabled. We are ministering spirit to spirit and there is a special connection in that. I could share so many stories with you about how I witnessed a camper comprehend something spiritual better than we ever could. We have so much to learn from them. I can't wait until camp!!!!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP