Powered by Blogger.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Experiences That Have Shaped Me part 1


I have been thinking about my experience among people with disabilities when I was a kid. There were two people with disabilities that shaped my childhood. I grew up with both of these kids. The first kid was Matt. I can remember being friends with him in kindergarten and first grade. We rode the bus together. As we got older, it wasn't so easy to be friends with him. The other kids on the bus made fun of him. I was never brave enough to do anything about it, but I wish I had been. Oh well, I guess each experience prepares you for the next. I cam remember being in class with him and I noticed that he had big hands. He had trouble holding a regular pencil. I told my mom about this and she decided that we were going to buy him some school supplies.



I think I was only in fifth or sixth grade when we did this. We went to the store and bought him some folders and bigger pencils that would be easier for him to hold. Then we dropped the supplies off in his mailbox so he never knew who it was. We dropped things off in his mailbox at least twice.



My mom has the gift of giving. She uses her gifts to make things and she gives them to others. I was blessed to grow up around this and my parent's hospitality. Our home has always been open to others. My mom works at HoneyRock Camp and there have been many camp staff in our house over the years. I learned that community is really important for our lives. I learned how to love on people just by opening up our home. My mom doesn't realize how many seeds were planted in me for disability ministry because of what we did for Matt. I am still processing all that God has done through that experience. God was putting a special place in my heart for people with disabilities even then. It was an experience that I will never forget. Thank you, Mom. I am forever grateful.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP