Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sheperd's Group


Over a month ago, we had a group from Shepherd's college come up for a work weekend. Shepherd's is a college for people with disabilities. Can you believe it? It's about time! Shepherd's has been a ministry in southern Wisconsin for over fifty years and the college is new, just a few years old. Shepherds allows people with disabilities to create their own pace, instead of trying to keep up with other colleges. They have a culinary and horticulture program along with other college classes and resident life. It's pretty awesome! My friend, Erin, is the academic advisor at the college. We have been friends since we were kids.




Erin and I started coming to Camp Daniel many years ago and it changed our lives. Erin went off to college and got a degree in Special Education. She came back to WI and started working with Shepherds Ministries. Erin is another example of someone who followed God and everything He had for her. She is another great example of someone in full-time disability ministry.



It was really special to have the group up here. After only a day of working with them, I felt like we were old friends. That is what I love about people with disabilities. When I am in a new situation, I scan the crowd for people with disabilities. I feel more comfortable around them than around other people. They are my people. It's kind of funny because most people scan a crowd and try to avoid people with disabilities. I was scared around people with disabilities before I started coming to Camp Daniel. After camp, all of my fears and assumptions were shattered. All that was left was love. You know, they are some of the easiest people to talk to. They are as genuine as it gets, whether they are in a good or bad mood. Thank You Lord, for surrounding me with people who challenge me to be real and honest daily.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP