Powered by Blogger.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Worship at The Able Church

Last Friday night at The Able Church, I had a breakthrough. You see, I have done things my own way for a long time, instead of doing things as they SHOULD be. I have been leading worship for a long time, even before The Able Church. I play my guitar and choose worship songs that I like. These are all worship songs that we are used to, but most of them are not appropriate for Able. The Able Church has a much slower pace with a simple message and slower songs so that people with disabilities can really be engaged in the service. I know when I give a lesson that it needs to be simple, but I have not applied those same ideas to worship.


We all like fast music and a good song. Members from the Able Church may be doing a little jig and clapping their hands, but they are not able to sings all of the words and truly get to a place of worship. I'm not limiting them in any way. I guess you need to experience The Able Church or Camp Daniel to know exactly what I'm talking about. My friend Jen, who also works at Camp Daniel, told me that I was getting blank stares because the songs were too fast with complicated words.


I have known these things for years, watching people lead worship at Camp Daniel, and yet I didn't change anything. I have only come to the realization that "HELLO! This isn't working." over the last couple of weeks. I was talking to Tony recently and he said that WE are coming into the disability culture and world, not the other way around. I came to the realization that I cannot force churchiness or how I think things should be on them. It must be a different thing entirely. So, on Friday when I lead worship, I played songs like 'Jesus Loves Me' and 'He's Got the Whole World in His Hands'. These are songs that are much more appropriate for Able.


It. Was. Beautiful.

1 comments:

Sabrina March 29, 2011 at 9:35 AM  

LIGHTBULB! LOL! Wish I was there! Bet is was awesome! Elijah would have loved it!
~S

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP