Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Being a Counselor at Camp Daniel

My first experience around people with disabilities was at Camp Daniel. At first, I was really overwhelmed. Those feelings are a normal part of the process. A person is usually overwhelmed when they immerse themselves in a new culture and it takes time to adjust. Five years ago I was a counselor for a week. That was the first time I had immersed myself in disability culture. That week changed my life forever. Camp Daniel is my favorite place to be. Everyone there has become my family. I keep going back because there is something real and genuine there. There is a love and acceptance that flows from everyone. You are free to be yourself.

At camp, Christianity and the body of Christ are lived out as they should be. God always challenges you and pushes you to the next level in your walk with him. He draws you closer to himself. I go to be challenged and stretched, and it never fails. When you first start going, you go to make a difference in your camper’s life. Your camper ends up teaching you a thing or two and loving you more than you thought possible. In the end, it is you that is changed.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP